Saturday, November 27, 2021

REST IN POWER, MR. SONDHEIM

 

R.I.P. Stephen Joshua Sondheim March 22, 1930 - November 26, 2021

Theater world has been hit with the loss of one of the greatest and highly decorated composers of American Musical Theater, Stephen Sondheim.  Every theater geek has opened up their catalog of their favorite Sondheim songs and have been belting with their favorite interpreters of his music, like me.   The tributes will be forthcoming, and I cannot help but join the fray. Google makes it easy to catch up on the life of the most famous name in the world of musical theater, so I will keep it brief and make it personal.


I’ll admit that it took me a long time to catch on to the genius of Sondheim.  I always thought of his work as something those “white kids” like.  I will own that my ignorance and naivete of it all as a black teenager growing up in Texas in the 70’s/80’s, may have contributed to not finding relatability to Mr. Sondheim.  As I matured, I stayed informed of his many other works,  but I truly connected with Sondheim at the pinnacle of what I thought was THE relationship.  Listen to LOSING MY MIND after he/she/they leave you and try not to cry. I promise that you will never really be able to drink coffee the same way again.   


On his 90th Birthday, I recalled my first introduction to his brilliance was unknowingly through his lyrics in WEST SIDE STORY and GYPSY.  His comedic charm also captured me in A FUNNY THING HAPPENED TO ME ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM, too. When you reach that age or sense of maturity that you really HEAR what the lyrics are saying, you will marvel at the fact that Mr. Sondheim captured emotions that all of us (gay, straight, black, white) are experiencing or will experience.  I will refer you to COMPANY, INTO THE WOODS, and FOLLIES.    


The thought that there will be future generations discovering his brilliance should satisfy not only his soul, but the souls of mourning musical theater fans everywhere.  Because this world has opened up and changed in a way that we all can truly enjoy his work without cultural stigma, you should hear interpreters like Billy Porter, Heather Headley, or Patina Miller tackle his music. Please enjoy some of my favorite songs and interpreters.  Rest in Power, Mr. Sondheim. 


SUNDAY Billy Porter




Gotta Get A Gimmick-




AMERICA- Lyrics




Ladies Who Lunch from CAMP




I'M STILL HERE  





Losing My Mind/You Could Drive A Person Crazy




BROADWAY BABY



Everybody Ought Have a Maid



90th Birthday Tribute 




85th Red Concert



No comments:

Post a Comment