Thursday, October 11, 2018

NATIONAL COMING OUT DAY



Today marks the annual observance of National Coming out Day.  As I have become a more "seasoned" citizen of the planet, I can say that I have seen many things come and go.  I think about what was happening  in the LGBT world before April 17, 1993, and since.  That was the day that I decided to not lie about it.  I was not going to pretend that a huge part of my life did not exist because it made OTHER people feel comfortable. I can make light of that easily today, but I remember how many tears that I shed that night in Seattle some 25 years ago.  Getting on that plane back to Texas, I remembered how hard it was to tell people whose love and concern that I thought that I would lose.  The anticipation of being ready to handle rejection from  people I expect and the ones I did not expect, can be heartbreaking.  It certainly does prepare you for any career in show business.

I must say that coming out on stage was the right thing to do for me, too,  because it truly did open up the rest of my life.  I was able to find a career where being gay was ok. Actually, it was mandatory as the first OUT, African-American, gay man, to be on air talent at Sirius XM for 10 years.  At a time when every voice is important, I could have never predicted that MY voice would have been heard all over the country, much less many major places in the world, thanks to the beauty of the internet. If someone would have told me that the bravery to stand in my own truth would have opened the world to me, then I would have never believed them.

 For those people that are still struggling to own themselves, or those worried about how their environments will receive them, or better yet, to those that the loss of family and friends will change everything as they know it, Coming Out is never going to be easy. However, hiding in the closet is exhausting and soul killing.  Once you have your own sense of independence, like living on your own, making your own money and friends, then you are already there, and coming out will only make your independence stronger.  Believe me.

Please enjoy my conversation with Shawn Hollenbach on his CLOSET CASES Podcast here:




Also, listen to my entire unedited Closet Cases Set:








6 comments:

  1. It's very nice of you to share your knowledge through posts. I like to read stories about your experiences. They are very useful and interesting. I am excited to read the next posts. I'm so grateful for all that you've done. Keep plugging. Many viewers like me fancy your writing. Thank you for sharing precious information with us. Shipping Bar for Shopify , shopify app free shipping bar , https://autoketing.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I'm into your pieces of writing. I wait for your posts every week. I learn many new interesting things from the articles. The information is essential for me. I want to thank you for sharing. juegos gogy
    , motox3m3 games , games abcya3 for kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. These articles are exactly what I need. It is very nice of you to share your understanding. I have learned interesting things. I have a liking for your posts. Please, upload more and more posts. geometry dash , superhexio , pool 8 ball

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very nice of you to share your knowledge through posts. I like to read stories about your experiences.
    food games free
    basketball games 2019
    soccer games online

    ReplyDelete
  5. food games free
    basketball games 2019
    soccer games online
    These articles are exactly what I need. It is very nice of you to share your understanding. I have learned interesting things.

    ReplyDelete

  6. New Year Party Platter
    Basketball Brick Breaking
    Bouncy Dunk
    Such a very useful article. Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article.

    ReplyDelete